Wednesday, 10 April 2013

I am a Writer

I knew I wanted to be an author since the fourth grade. It's the only career that has ever captured my interest. I had fleeting thoughts of doing other things with my life, but writing was the only thing I ever saw myself doing forever.

I remember the first line of the first poem that I ever wrote.

"Sister Mary was not a nun by far, so she took her sorrows to the bar."

I'm deeply saddened that I no longer have this poem, but I remember the general story in it and I am thinking of turning it into a book. When I have more details on that, I'll be sure to share.

I still have the anthology of really bad poetry that I put together for an assignment in English when I was in the eighth grade.

I have files and folders full of ideas for novels, short stories, poetry. I even have a novel that is about 75 000 words written out on loose leaf paper. It's pure drivel, but I still have it. I couldn't stand to ever part with it. Why? Sometimes I think it's because I am a pack rat. I really keep it all because I am a writer and my ideas are among my most precious possessions. Throwing them away would feel like throwing away part of my soul.

My point, whether I succeed (which I really really want to) or whether I fail (not really an option) I am, and will always be, a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment