Sunday, 28 April 2013

I Will Conquer My Mount Everest

I was elated when I finished writing Unbroken. For a few blissful minutes I basked in the glory of reaching the finish line. I danced, I skipped, I sang, I even clapped my hands. I was over the moon. All I ever really wanted to do was write a book and I had finally done it.

I listened to the age old advice that tells writers to leave their project alone before they start revisions. So I walked away from it for a couple months and what I found when I returned startled me. My book, my precious novel that I spent so many hours writing, wasn't perfect. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but the level of imperfection shocked me to my core. For the first time I saw my novel for what it really was, a work in progress.

I've revised the entire thing four times. FOUR times. When I wrote Unbroken, it was written from the point of view of four different characters. I've whittled that down to three, losing entire scenes in the process. Other scenes were rewritten from another character's point of view. I've done a lot of work and while I'm delighted with how far it has come, I still have so much more to do. I'm still not finished, but right now I feel lost. I don't know what to do with it. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple different Beta readers before I take the next step.

My dream is to have it published, but right now I feel so very far away from that. It feels like I'm standing at the bottom of Everest staring up at the clouds that keep the top of the mountain shrouded in mystery. It seems so far away, but I'll get there. One step at a time.

It's not just the destination that matters, the journey is important too. So I'm going to try to remember to enjoy every moment, every small success and triumph so when I finally reach the top of the my Mount Everest I will remember how I got there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment