Wednesday, 8 May 2013

A Big Decision

I've taken a break from everything writing related for over a week now. I didn't write, I didn't blog or twitter or outline. I didn't even brainstorm. I went for a walk through life and cleared my head of all the clutter up there. I needed to step back from everything, I had some pretty important things to work out.

When I finished writing Unbroken I was euphoric. I was on cloud 9 for weeks. I had done it! I wrote a book! So I took the age old advice and I set it aside for awhile. When I looked at it again I saw it for what it really was, a first draft. A really rough first draft. So I set out to perfect it. Four revisions later, I've made a decision. It was extremely hard for me to decide this but...

I am going to rewrite Unbroken. I'm going sit down and nail down a proper outline, I'm going to take my time and work on sub story and character development and work them all into my outline. I want to get it right this time. I don't want to fly by the seat of my pants and make stuff up as I go, it's not working for me, it never has and likely never will. It's time to grow up and change how I do things.

The first draft isn't wrong, per say, but it doesn't tell the story I want to tell, and that is a problem. The only way to fix said problem, is to rewrite it. I'm not scrapping the book, there's too much good stuff in there, stuff I will use for this book, other things will get saved for other books, but as it sits, I'm not happy with it. Unbroken was an experiment that, while not a failure, was not a resounding success. It was a learning experience from the beginning and will continue to be, probably forever. Even after it's finished there are things I will learn that I don't yet know.

I'm betting the rewrite will take me longer than the 30 days it took me to pen the first draft.


3 comments:

  1. WOW, that's HUGE. I'm the same as you, I just can't wing it when writing. I have to plot and outline and know exactly where I am going with it.

    For what it is worth, i think you are making the right call. I have made a similar decision with my work.

    I've enjoyed reading your blogs by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wanderer! Your blog is spectacular by the way!

      Delete
  2. I understand this post as much as you understand this post, for the same reasons.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete