Thursday, 6 June 2013

Focus, or Lack Thereof

Sometimes I feel like it's really hard for me to focus on just one project at a time, like I have a writers form of ADD or something. As soon as I start a project it seems like my head gets flooded with other ideas. Suddenly, I'm completely obsessed with my shiny new ideas and my current project seems a bit lackluster. I'm going to try and stop hopping from project to project, it seems like nothing really ever gets completed that way.
I have developed a plan to maintain my focus on my current project while cultivating the new ideas that pop into my brain. I plan to *gasp* outline. I NEVER used to outline. Never ever ever ever ever. And you want to know something, I think that is why I've only finished one book and is most likely the very reason I'm going to completely rewrite it.

While I'm writing my new book (a ghost story if you're curious) I plan to work on the outline for Unbroken. I really want to nail that down. I also have an idea for something very new and exciting for me. This new exciting idea would normally cause me to jump head first into it and start researching things, writing things...then eventually, in a week or two I would become so lost about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to start, that I would shelve it and go back to a different project.

I'm going to maintain focus. I'm going to let my new and old ideas stew in my brain. Maybe if I can tame the wild writer spirit within me, it will be a slightly more productive wild spirit.

So, if you have any tips on how to maintain my focus, please, leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment