Friday, 7 June 2013

Literary Loves

Before I was a writer, I was a reader. I grew up in a house of readers. My Dad didn't start reading until I was a bit older, but my Mom was, and still is, an avid reader. I have them to thank for my love of the written word. Though he devours fantasy novels now, my Dad read a lot of Louie Lamour and Clive Cussler. While they didn't really interest me, my mom's choice in books held my fascination, most likely because I was told I was too young to read them. (No, she wasn't reading erotica)


When I was eleven my mom finally relented and let me read a Dean Koontz novel. Hes' been my favorite author ever since. He's just too brilliant to put into words. His stories drag you along at break neck speed and thrust you deep into his dark and twisted imagination. It is impossible for me to select a single favorite of his from among his extensive list of work. I can't do it. I can't choose just one of his books to label my favorite. I do have a list of favorites, but that's another post. 

Lucy Maud Montgomery gave me Anne of Green Gables and I will forever adore her for that. I must have read those books one hundred times by now. I can't help but get sucked into Anne's world. I feel her pain, her sorrow and her joy right along with her. I really feel like Anne and I are kindred spirits.


In grade eight I went into my schools library and searched the shelves for something different, something epic and fantastic. I selected The Count of Monte Cristo and Dumas delighted me with the wonderful, tragic and heroic tale of Edmund Dantes. I've read the book through a couple times and each time it delights me more than the last. 


Finally, a book you've likely never heard of, at least I've never come across anyone else who has read it or even heard about it. I am David by Anne Holm. It's the tale of a boy that escapes a concentration camp and heads north for Denmark. The whole way, he's terrified of being caught and every time I read it I'm terrified right along with him. 


Last, but certainly NOT least is the man of the hour, George R. R. Martin, author of the epic A Song of Ice and Fire, which has been adapted for television and airs on HBO as Game of Thrones. If you haven't read these books, go read them. Martin took me away to Westeros and part of me will never leave. He showed me people I could love, people I hate, people that are so vile it's hard to stomach them. It is unreal to me, that this epic story could come from the mind of one human being. And George, if you happen to read this, could you please hurry up with that next book. I'm dying to read it!!!




3 comments:

  1. Great list, I’ve only read The Count of Monte Cristo from your list, and that was fantastic. I am David sounds really intriguing. Dean Koontz, that name keeps popping up recently. Your post has sold it. Sure you can't recommend just one of his novels for a beginner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like psychological thrillers-read False Memory--it was absolutely fantastic.

      From The Corner of His Eye is simply AMAZING as is By The Light of The Moon and One Door Away From Heaven. OOOH! Strangers! Strangers is a completely wonderful book. If you'd be interested in reading about a fry cook that can see ghosts, read Odd Thomas. I haven't caught up with the rest of the series, but I love Odd.

      I could go on for days...LOL

      Delete
    2. Cheers, I'll check them out :)

      Delete