Sunday, 23 June 2013

To Improve, You Must Write.

Now if anything I've ever seen applies to writing, this quote  here certainly does. It's right up there with "practice makes perfect" and "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Writing is a craft, an art and it can take some of us years to master it. Not everything you write will be great, but don't let it stop you from writing. If I stopped writing the minute I wrote something sub-par, I'd have stopped when I started.

I've been working hard this year to improve my writing and the only way to do that is by writing. Not everything I've written is wonderful. I too, have penned my fair share of garbage. But I'm still here, and I'm still writing. You want to know what else, I'm getting better at it. I'm not always able to achieve the effect I want, but I'm getting closer. And that didn't happen by not writing.

If you want to be a great writer, then you have to make time for writing. You have to make time to practice and hone your skills. It's not going to happen over night. You may think that you'll never improve. Trust me, you are wrong. One day you'll sit down, like you always do, and you'll write something and think to yourself "Wow, this is miles better than that other thing I wrote last week." And you'll be right, too. It will be better. Did it happen overnight? No. Would you have improved without practice? No. Did you earn that victory? Hell yes!

Writing is hard, so I don't know why people expect themselves to be perfect the first time out of the gate. Sure, some people are writing prodigy's and they just "get it" but for the rest of us there will be blood, sweat and tears involved.

My point is, don't give up. Not everything you write will be awesome. Not every idea you get will be fantastic. But work at it anyway. You won't get better by brooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment