Monday, 15 July 2013

Title Irritation

I stink at titles. It's really hard for me to think of a title that is captivating and magical, one that encompasses the essence of the book in a few short words. This is why most of my working titles are the name of the protagonist. It's also an easy way to keep my stories straight in my endless maze of computer files.

I've been working on a WIP (work in progress) called Harley since April. I got about 18k in and took a break from it while I figured out what direction I wanted to take it. I picked it up a few days ago and I've been working to tweak some things in the beginning and to create an outline. I took a break from all that today to have a big of fun making a teaser poster for it to show some writer friends of mine. I'll unveil it here, much later, but while creating this teaser picture the title of the book suddenly hit me.

My WIP, formerly known as Harley, will henceforth be called, The Demon in Him.

Stay tuned, my next blog post may or may not contain the blurb for The Demon in Him.

Isn't that a swell title?

Do you also struggle with titles? How do you come up with yours?

2 comments:

  1. I’ve never had much trouble with titles. Sometimes when thinking of a title I might use a working title, usually this is a line from a poem or a song. My current WIP is called ‘Beyond the Sea’ my other is titled ‘In Death’s Dream Kingdom.’ Another I’m planning is ‘Gods of the Wild Roads’ all of which are lines from songs or poems. My original titles usually hit me first, and the story second. Another WIP of mine is Once Upon a Mortal Coil and another is titled ‘From Paradisium’ a play on the Jack the Ripper signature ‘From Hell’ I just play around with everyday lines and sayings and put my own spin on them.

    I think you are right to fret about titles; they are very important and could be the difference between a sale or not.

    The Demon in Him is a good title, it would definitely have me taking a closer look in a book store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your titles! :) Especially Once Upon a Mortal Coil, it's dark, yet has that fairy tale feel to it. It's quite brilliant.

      Delete