Thursday, 8 August 2013

Drowning in TBR

I thought it would be fun to talk a bit about some of the books in my To Be Read pile. I'm an eclectic reader and there pretty much isn't a genre that I won't read. I used to run in the other direction anytime I saw a fantasy novel, but Terry Goodkind changed that for me. That, however, is a topic for a different post.

Below, you will find a list of books that I'm looking forward to reading, why they seem interesting and what first caught my eye. To keep this post to a manageable length, I will only talk about five books.  

The first book in my TBR pile is Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan. This is actually book three in the Riyria Revelations series. It began with Theft of Swords, and I was instantly swept away by the engrossing story, the epic characters and the awesome sense of humor that Sullivan possess. I'm halfway through the second book, Rise of Empire, and it's actually even better than the first book.

I will admit, it was the cover art that first caught my attention, but these lines really sold the first book.

THEY KILLED THE KING. THEY PINNED IT ON TWO MEN. THEY CHOSE POORLY.






Empyreal Illusions by Jake Bonsignore was recommended to my by Amber Skye Forbes.  I don't always read books simply because they are recommended to me, but this book has captivated my interest simply because it is strikingly different from books that I normally read. Plus, the cover art is really really pretty. And as a bonus, if I like this, the second book, Awakening The Fire, will be out soon.










The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch I was looking on goodreads.com one day, to try and find new titles and authors for my dad, who is an avid fantasy reader. I stumbled upon this book and by the time I was finished reading the synopsis, I knew I wanted to read the book. Plus, one reviewer described the book as "The Lies of Locke Lamora is a love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather"

How could I possibly go wrong? Then my mom read it and said it was great, so now I have to read it. 








Fat Vampire by Johnny B. Truant
I don't usually read vampire books. I love a good vampire story, but I prefer to watch them on TV for some reason. However, everything about this book makes me want to read it. It just seems so different than the run of the mill vampire story. The cover art is hysterical. I have to read this book. I have to.









The View From a Rusty Train Car by DeeJay Arens See all the award stickers on this? That isn't the only reason I want to read this. I have purchased a copy, and I will get there eventually, but this is what caught my eye.

“No one talks about what happens when you fall in love with the boy next door -- not when you’re the boy living beside the boy next door.”


I have a feeling that this book will make me cry. I like books that make me cry.








So there you have it. Five sure to be great books straight from my TBR pile.

What's on your list?




2 comments:

  1. "The Lies of Locke Lamora is a love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather" a curious statement for a fantasy novel, I'm intrigued. I love the cover too, not fan of the Fat Vampire cover though lol.

    Are you sure you want me to post my TBR list? it may crash the server ;)

    I'll give you my top five:

    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    Ulysses by James Joyce
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

    ...and a million more.

    :D






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised to see any of those title on your list, Ben. I had to do a quick google search on The Dumas Club and boy am I glad I did. It sounds spectacular.

      Delete