Saturday, 31 August 2013

Summers End

There is a tree across the road from my house. It's always the first tree to morph from summer green to the reds and oranges of autumn. For me, this always signals that summer is nearing it's end, and autumn is arriving. Nights get colder and days get shorter in anticipation of winter.

I have very specific goals for autumn. I didn't have specific goals for summer and I didn't accomplish as much as I thought I would. So for the sake of accountability and productivity, I'm going to share my goals with you.

I want to finish the first draft of The Demon In Him in time to participate in NaNoWriMo again this year. This year, unlike the last, I am doing some pre-nano preparation. I have a great idea for a middle grade novel and while I'm known to to normally just fling myself into projects with wild abandon, I'm making myself wait. I want to hammer out details. I want to outline, and outline, and outline. I want to know what I'm going to write. I want to map out the scenes so when it comes time to write I can fling myself into my project properly, with direction and purpose.

Plus, I have a tendency to leave one project half finished before jumping into another, which I later leave half finished when I get a shiny new idea. Not this time. This time I want to finish my project before starting another. I want the satisfaction of doing one thing, doing it very well, and then moving on. If I don't get the first draft done by November, I may participate anyway, but know that I will have failed to meet my self imposed deadline.

If I finish The Demon in Him, and my Middle Grade Nano project, I will have written three books in one year. That in itself, will be a huge accomplishment. The fact that I've done more writing and more experimenting with my craft in the past twelve months alone than I have in most of my life is a huge accomplishment. I'm proud of how far I've come and the progress I've made.

I'll let you know on November 1st if I made my deadline. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. You should be proud, you've done some amazing work in the last 12-months.

    I'll be glad when it's winter again. I've found that I can write better on those long cold winter nights. Summer is too much of a distraction.

    Good luck with Nano, You've got me curious about this project :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks Ben. I am proud! :)

    I should shoot you an email one day soon and tell you all about my MG project. Someday soon...you never know...

    Now I'm off. I have some writing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, I can't wait to read about it, it has me uber-curious

      Delete
    2. You twisted my rubber arm, Ben. Check your inbox. :)

      Delete