Monday, 9 September 2013

Authors Are People

I have no idea about the truth to this tale, but I read about an author who wrote a blog post about his current struggle with depression. I heard that after a few days, his agent made him pull the post. If this is true, it makes me sad.

Authors are people. We live, we love, we laugh, and we cry; just like the rest of the world. It may seem like we are some sort of super human entity with our awesome ability to pull stories out of thin air, but we're not. We're people like the rest of you with real people problems. It saddens me that this agent made his author pull such a personal post.

As a reader, I want to know about authors. I want to know what they're like, what they do for fun, where they've been. I want to know that they put their pants on, one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. I could care less what month is your worst for sales or how much an advertisement cost you. I don't want to read one thousand links to your book on my twitter feed. I want to hear about you.

I want to hear about more than just your writing process. I want to read about your life. I want to read about your victories and your struggles. Our struggles connect us to people. It makes us feel that we are not alone in our misery. If you're depressed, or having a bad time with something, it's okay to post about it. You're not going to turn your readers away by revealing your human side to them. In fact, you might find that your readers will invest more into you, if you open yourself up to them.


4 comments:

  1. It seems there is still some stigma regarding depression. It is unfortunate that his post was pulled. The only way to demystify such a condition is to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just baffles me that his agent was THAT worried about it. Having not read the post, it's difficult to say if the agent had an actual reason to ask the author to pull it or not, though. But when it comes down to it, let people see your flaws because no one can relate to perfection.

      Delete
  2. I definitely found that by opening up I have created much more meaningful relationships with my readers :)

    Fantastic post, Mariah - I hope there's a whole lotta authors out there reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! One must create relationships, friendships even, with their readers. It is your friends that will do the most work for you spreading the word about you, it's very valuable to cultivate relationships with people that reach out to you.

      And thank you, I hope there are a lot of authors reading this, too. :)

      Delete