Monday, 2 September 2013

It's Okay to Fail

As I stated in my last blog post, I have some specific goals for this fall. Yesterday I wrote chapter 15 of The Demon in Him and this morning I knocked out chapter 16. This has brought me to page 100 of my book! 29540 words in and I'm still pleased with the way the story is unfolding.

I have up until chapter 24 outlined and by the time I get there I'll know for sure what I want to happen in the chapters that follow it. I want to keep trying to do a chapter a day. This won't always be easy, or possible, but I would love to keep this momentum going. When this draft is done, I'm going to let it sit until December. I'll spend the Christmas month doing revisions so it can go out to my spectacular beta readers in January. This is my plan and I'm going to do my best to stick to it.

Image from
 http://mxkremzen.com/tag/writing-and-editing/
Why am I telling you all this? It's simple...I'm egotistical and I enjoy talking about myself. Should I admit that I'm egotistical? Why not? Being proud of yourself is far better than the alternative. This applies to everyone, in everything you do. Be proud of yourself. Be proud of what you accomplish, even if it's not as grand as what you originally set out to do. It's okay to try, and it's okay to fail. I've learned more this year than any other year simply because I've failed the most this year. Failing means you're trying and as long as you keep trying, you'll get there.

So go out and try things. Fail, learn, and explore. The only way you can figure out how much you can accomplish is to set goals. Sometimes we expect too much and set the bar too high, and that's fine too. We have to learn where our limits are so we can push beyond them.

Have you failed recently?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the progress on The Demon in Him.

    I think failure is entirely subjective. What is it each writer hopes to achieve upon completing a first draft? I felt it was a slight anti-climax. I celebrated best I could, but I really didn’t feel all that euphoric, why? because I knew there was still tons of work left to do, the first draft for me was the easiest part, so all I’d be doing is celebrating the coming storm.

    I guess publication is the ultimate success, but that was never going to happen to either one of us this year because publishing doesn’t happen that quickly. But even if it did, then there are sales to consider, reviews, then maybe movie deals, movie reviews, fan reaction. There are many points at which a writer can become disappointed during their journey, but I don’t think disappointment and failure are one and the same. I’m not sure how you think you’ve failed but if you've failed this year then I have bombed big time because I haven’t done half as much as you… and I consider this to be my best year writing-wise, even with a dry spell this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a very interesting point. I think failure, like success, is different for everyone. It is defined by each individual experience. What I would have considered failure a year ago, may not be the case now. I think, that as long as we keep going, that we never truly fail.

      Success for me will be having a completed novel that I am truly happy with. Then I'll worry about getting published. :)

      Delete