Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Luck is a Myth

I'm the kind of person that likes to have things to do. I have my writing, I have my family to take care of and now I've started taking a few online courses as well. With the weekly author interviews and helping Amber with her upcoming book launch, I think it's more important than ever to manage my time better.

I just discovered that Google has a Calendar function. Imagine my happiness when I learned that I can have a calendar on my computer that tells me when I should have stuff completed by. Technology is amazing, I know.

All kidding aside, I've scheduled my next week with not only real life stuff like parent teacher interviews and eye appointments, but I've set goals for my writing and set deadlines to have other tasks, like questions for upcoming author interviews, completed. (I also have to find 6 stunning book covers for our next indie author cover art contest, so if you have any favorite's drop the links in the comments to nominate them.)

At this point, you might want to ask me why I'm rambling on about this nonsense. Well, it's simple. I want to be successful at what I do, at everything I do. And I think that proper time management is key to this. No. I know proper time management is key to this. You see, there is no such thing as luck. Luck is a myth. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. I'm not going to miss out on my opportunities because I didn't manage my time properly and set constant goals for myself so I could be prepared.

After you read this, do me a favor. No, scratch that, do yourself a favor. Make time for your joy because no one will hand it to you. You must scrape it out of every place you can. You were not put on this planet to simply be another cog in the machine. Chase your dreams, follow your joy.

Well, that's all the time I have scheduled to write this post. (kidding)

Do you have any time management tricks you can pass along?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Mariah. I agree with everything you said. My old boss once said, 'The harder you work, the luckier you become.' I guess that was his way of saying he doesn't believe in luck either :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the idea for this post after reading something that Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones) said. http://livebyquotes.com/2013/i-hate-that-word-lucky-peter-dinklage/ It's all there in the link. Basically, the word luck cheapens a lot of hard work.

      People want to believe that you can be successful just by a stroke of luck, and that there is not actual effort involved, except for sitting there waiting for your lucky little ship to come in.

      I'm sure there are a lot of 'Luck' quotes out there, but I absolutely adore Peter Dinklage. LOL He makes a lot of sense.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this post, Mariah. I'll pop back to see if anyone has left any of those time management secrets...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time Management 101:

      Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and any other form of social media platform is NOT your friend when it comes to productivity. Unless of course you goal is to play Candy Crush Saga all day long... LOL

      I need to manage my social media time better. I waste a horrific amount of time perusing through Facebook.

      Thanks for stopping by to comment. :)

      Delete