Thursday, 19 September 2013

Work In Progress Report

It's been awhile since I've blogged about my current work in progress, The Demon in Him. On your left is a teaser I made for it some time ago now.

I'm happy to report that I'm more than half way finished. When last you heard from me, I was on chapter twelve. This morning I completed chapter twenty-two. I'm almost at forty-two thousand words and with forty chapters to write that should put the finished product somewhere between seventy-five and eighty-five thousand words. 

I've gone through several stages of self doubt with this project. Self doubt is the destroyer of writers dreams. It can, single handed, bury manuscripts for eternity. It's a hard thing to power through sometimes, but I keep doing it, because, ultimately, I have to tell this story. That is also why I'm imposing a deadline of November 1st for this draft to be finished. I have forty three days to go and eighteen chapter to write. I can make it. That's only another thirty five thousand words or so. If NaNoWriMo taught me anything, it's that I can slam out that many words in that short amount of time. Heck, other people have written entire first drafts in a matter of a week or so. 

I've been keeping pretty busy helping Amber Skye Forbes with the upcoming release of her novel, and working in the 10th issue of The Corner Club Press, AND searching for paranormal submissions for our upcoming paranormal special, but I will get this done. 

4 comments:

  1. You're doing an excellent job, Mariah. You've past the point of no return, so you may as well keep writing, right?

    A really strong a gripping excerpt too, I'm really intrigued.

    Are you still looking for submissions for the paranormal edition? If so I'll see if I can spread the word a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, were still searching for subs, so spread the word away, Ben. Thank you.

      I have past the point of no return, I have completed the outline for the book so now I must finish this, despite my doubts. I like to think of doubt as something described in Game of Thrones.

      “There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: “Not today.”
      ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

      Delete
    2. That's an excellent quote. I hope you meet your dead line. You're an inspiration to us all.

      Delete
    3. Awwwwwww, shucks. ;) Thankya Ben. :)

      Delete