Saturday, 12 October 2013

NaNoWriMo!

The leaves of autumn are delicious shades of golden yellows and fire reds, pumpkin spice everything is in full swing. Mid October is just around the corner, do you know what that means? NaNoWriMo approaches. Last year was the first year that I ever participated (I won) and I plan to do it again this year. I don't really care if I win or lose, because I'm not aiming for 50 000 words. My goal is to start, and finish, my middle grade novel. I've never written a middle grade novel before, but I have a fantastic idea for it and I really excited to write it.

So you might ask why I plan to participate in an event if I don't care whether or not I win. You see, I learned a lot from NaNo last year. It was an awakening for me. I was no longer the dreamer who leaned on her hands as dreams danced in her starry eyes as she longingly whispered 'one day'. I was a doer. I set out to accomplish very specific goal and be damned if I didn't do it.

It's easier than you think to make the step from dreamer to doer, all you need is a plan. For me, that was NaNoWriMo 2012. I wrote a book in a month. Until that point I was a dreamer, my novel went from one day, into full on existence! Since then I've scribbled and scrawled idea after idea. I'm 30 Chapters deep in The Demon In Him, a book I started last year, shelved, then picked back up again in April. I've also mapped out a few different novel ideas. I blog, I do author interviews, I work on a literary magazine and I help fellow author friends where ever I can. It's fun for me. This is what I love doing and being busy with all these things makes me happy. Now, you might wonder if this post has a point. It's probably been said before by countless people but here it is anyway, Dreams come true when you stop dreaming and start doing.

That's right. So ask yourself this "What did I do today to make my dream come true."

So I'm doing NaNoWriMo because I like it. I'm doing it because it was fun last year. I want to do it again this year, not to prove anything to myself like last year, but because I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to learn something again this year. 

4 comments:

  1. I think Nano is more about learning the discipline of writing more than anything else. And I'd say you completely absorbed that lesson last year. If a writer starts a project it’s a whole lot easier to keep at it rather than taking breaks and moving on to something else. When that happens the writer loses their footing in the original work.

    Great post as always, Mariah :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the slogan of NaNo. 30 days and 30 nights of literary abandon. It's those last two words that get me. "Literary Abandon."

      Life leaves so little room sometimes for abandon of any sort, so you must get your drops of sunshine where you can.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I endorse everything you've said, Mariah (and you too, Ben). Last year was my second year but my first win - previous year work issues took precedence after I'd started - but fully intend, with planning occupying the bit of a mind I've got left after editing all day! Good luck to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a NaNo account for four years before I did anything with it. Good Luck to you on your NaNoVentures. :) Maybe I'll see you at the winners circle.

      Delete