Wednesday, 16 October 2013

The End

That's how I feel today. 
Last winter I was visited by a girl who sobbed in a bathroom stall. I needed to know why she was crying and after some coaxing, Harley revealed her story to me. Now, almost a year after she first whispered to me, I have finished it. Yesterday, after six months of solid work on my second novel, The Demon In Him, I finally got to write those two wonderful words, The End.



But really, this is just the beginning. I have relationships to strengthen, clues to drop, scenes to flesh out, description to enrich and characters to perfect. The end is just the beginning for any writer. It really is the first step in a long journey, but I made it. I really freaking made it. I'm positively joyful this morning.

I finished The Demon in Him last night. It came up to just over sixty one thousand words and hit thirty five chapters. I'm expecting to add more than I'll lose during revisions. I'd like the word count to be somewhere around 75k when it's all done, but it will be what it will be. I wont add fluff to bump it up.

I'm so very excited that I get to write something else today. I'm also nervous. I'm leaving one world behind and opening the door to another. Those first steps are always the scariest.

Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Isn't that one of the best feelings EVER? And I love digging into revisions and seeing the rough story come alive through my polishing. Such an awe-inspiring process! I'm currently doing my final revision of my third book and it's the most fun I've ever had. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the greatest, most indescribable feelings on the planet. And unless you're a writer, you just don't understand how wonderful it feels. I love revisions. It's so much easier to refine and flesh out what already exists, then it is to create something from a fragment of an idea.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Mariah!
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sorin! I'm really happy it's done. I've been looking forward to writing something different, but now, I can't wait to hit the revisions. LOL It's a mind game I play with myself. hahaha

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Mariah. This is terrific news!

    ReplyDelete