Thursday, 14 November 2013

Update!

I planned on spending the month of November slaving away on my latest novel project, Pitbully. However, things haven't turned out that way. Instead of focusing on that, I've taken a step back and decided to spend some time with my poetry. My poetic wings are a bit rusty, but I've managed to write some new material. Some of it is even half way decent. I've even been submitting and got an acceptance in my email last night.

I feel like this is an important step for me. It's not really a break, it's more of a shift in priorities. I feel like I've been pushing myself a lot these past few months, and while a little determination isn't a bad thing, I was starting to feel worn down and burnt out. I wasn't enjoying writing the way I used to, so I decided to take a step back and refocus things.

So far this month I've written about a dozen new poems, one short story and one flash piece. It's not that I didn't enjoy writing, but I was just getting tired of everything feeling so hard. I love writing, and yes, sometimes it's hard, it should be. If it's not hard sometimes that means that you're never pushing yourself. But I'm tired. I'm tired of pushing and grinding and forcing and slogging. It felt like I was going up a mountain, but instead of taking the ski lift, I was opting to walk. It's a long climb, and for a while, I want to be on the ski lift. I spent from April to October working diligently on The Demon In Him and immediately after I started Pitbully. So I'm taking a break. I don't know how much longer it's going to last, because even now I can feel myself wanting to write Pitbully again. I do know, that I'm going to keep writing poetry and short stories. They're heck of a lot of fun for me and let's face it, that's why I really do this, it's fun.

I guess I just needed to remind myself of that.

What do you do when you start to suffer from burn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment