Wednesday, 1 January 2014

500 Words A Day

So here it is. The first day of 2014! We've eaten the Christmas turkey, we've sang the carols, we rang the new year in with vigor and promises to ourselves for a better future. Last year it took me until April to get around to setting a solid goal for myself. This year, I've already got some plans made for myself where my writing is concerned.

First off, I'm participating in a 500 words a day challenge. The idea is to get into the habit of writing every day. Unlike NaNoWriMo, there is no getting ahead, there is no catching up. 500 words every day. If you miss a day, you miss a day. There's no making up for it. You simply pick yourself up by your boot straps and resolve to not miss another.

I'm also hell bent on getting a poetry book out this year. I want the manuscript completed by the end of February. I have 32 poems that I'm going to include so far, but I need more material. So that's another goal. On top of the 500 words a day I want to write a poem a day.

These may seem like lofty goals, but really, I can do this. THIS is manageable for me. Not only have I penned a new poem today, I also successfully completed day 1 with 745 words in the bag for *drum roll please* the rewrite of Unbroken! It's been a year since I decided to rewrite it, so it's high time I get my arse in gear. I'm really excited.

If you're interested in joining the 500 words a day challenge, join this group on Facebook. 

**UPDATE**

For the purpose of not posting a new post every day, I will keep track of my progress here.

Day 1: 745 words
Day 2: 526 words
Day 3: 1166 words
Day 4: 600 words
Day 5: 643 words
Day 6: 914 words
Day 7: 647 words
Day 8: 852 words
Day 9: 760 words
Day 10: 595 words

No comments:

Post a Comment