Saturday, 4 January 2014

I'm Showing Up

It's only the fourth day of 2014.  It's also the fourth day of the 500 words a day writing challenge I committed to joining and already I've accomplished so much. I won't blog about this every single day but I wanted to take a moment to share my experience so far.

The hardest part is showing up, but it's easier when there's a community of people to share your experience with. I don't want to go into the group empty handed, so it propels me forward. It encourages me to sit down and write my 500 words. Sometimes I get 600, sometimes I get 1100. But I write. That is the point. It's not about quality. Sure, it's nice to write words you know you'll be keeping, but that's not the point. The point is to show up. Every day. To write. Every day. To make your passion your habit. To transform yourself from a sometimes writer to an active writer.

Here's a list of my daily writing accomplishments since I started the challenge.

Day 1: 


745 words on my novel

1 poem
1 blog post written and posted

2 blog posts for future use
I also did some work on my poetry manuscript and it's up over 40 poems now.


Day 2: 

526 words on my novel
2 new poems

Day 3:

1166 words on my novel
3 new poems
1 blog post for future use

Day 4: 

600 words on my novel and this blog post

I've done more in the past four days than I accomplished in some entire months back in 2013 and the secret to this sudden burst of productivity is this. 

I've been showing up. I've been making myself write. I've been reminding myself that this is important to me. I've also been encouraging others to join, or to keep going. The first couple of days, the posts in my news feed on Facebook were what reminded me to stop wasting time and go write. I would sit there and read about the successes of other people. Success they'd achieved just by showing up and doing the work. It doesn't take long. I can tap out 500 words in about a half an hour. They are words that will need editing, polishing, revising, some may even be deleted in the end. But they are words on the page and not in my head. Every 500 words written is another step closer to the finish line. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon, and I'm in it for the long haul. 

Come join the fun

No comments:

Post a Comment