Wednesday, 5 February 2014

I'll Be Thirty One Soon

My thirty first birthday is approaching. Every year for the past few years I've tried to set goals which revolve around my birthday. For example, back a few years ago now, I was a smoker. I made a goal to be a non-smoker by my thirtieth birthday. I quit when I was nearly twenty-nine and have been smoke free ever since. Since that went so well, I then set a goal to write a novel before turning thirty. So then, during NaNoWriMo 2012, just months before my birthday deadline, I wrote my first book. I then followed it with another and a treasure trove of stories.

As I approach my thirty first birthday I take comfort in the fact that I've accomplished a lot of writing goals this year. Certainly not least of all, I've assembled my manuscript for my chapbook. It's out with some beta readers right now, but it's together and I'm proud of my work. I can't wait to submit it.

Now I sit here, feeling rather accomplished and I think to myself, what can I do before I turn thirty two? What things do I want to accomplish in this next year of my life. Well, I want to write another book. This book, however, I am certain will make it beyond the first draft. I have two books under my belt which means I have two books worth of mistakes under my belt. I feel slightly more confident going into this new project of mine. I think this one will be the one to make it.

So, my goal for the thirty-first year of my life: Write another book and get it into a submission worthy state.

I know I can do this. I feel like I really know what I'm doing for a change.

Plus, helping Amber with her books has given me volumes of experience that I know I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. I suggest to any writer, that they beta read for others. I've been working hard this year on honing my skills, beta reading among them. But I didn't stop there. I also branched out into content editing and recently, line editing. It was an invaluable experience and you know what else, it didn't even feel like work. I had a ridiculous amount of fun going through and line editing.

I guess I really was meant to be a writer.

2 comments:

  1. Quitting is a tremendous accomplishment! I find myself writing my age into poems, dedicating poems to my age, even writing birthday poems. Give it a try! The 30's are a whole other thing than you've seen in earlier decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thirtieth year was easily one of the best years of my life. Less hectic, less stress, more stability and faith in myself. It seems the older I get, the more I like myself. It's a nice feeling. I think you are right. The 30's are a whole other thing. :) I think I shall try your birthday poem idea. Thank you.

      Delete